Comprehensive information about diving and undersea medicine for the non-medical diver, the non-diving physician and the specialist.
2. Polak B and Adams H: Traumatic Air Embolism in Submarine Escape Training. U.S. Naval Med. Bull. 30: 165-177, 1932 (Related Articles)
3. Vann RD, Thalmann ED: Decompression physiology and practice, in Bennett PB, Elliott DH (eds): The Physiology and Medicine of Diving. London, WB Saunders, 1993, ed 4, pp376-432 (Related articles)
4. Francis TJR, Smith D (eds): Describing Decompression Illness. Bethesda, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, 1987.
5. Elliott DH, Moon RE: Manifestations of the decompression disorders, in Bennett PB, Elliott DH (eds): The Physiology and Medicine of Diving. London, WB Saunders, 1993, ed 4, pp 481-505. (Related articles)
6. Flynn ET: Decompression Sickness, in Camporesi EM, Barker A: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: A Critical Review. Bethesda. Undersea and Hyperbaric Med. Soc. , 1991, pp55-74 (Related articles)
7. Francis TJR, Gorman DF: Pathogenesis of the Decompression disorders, in Bennett PB, Elliott DH (eds): The Physiology and Medicine of Diving. London, WB Saunders, 1993, ed 4, pp 454-480 (Related articles)
8. US Navy Diving Manual. Commander Naval Sea Systems Command Publication 0994-LP-001-9010. Washington DC, US Government Press, 1993, Revision 3, Vol 1, Chapter 8
9. Thalmann ED, Buckingham IP, Spaur WH: Testing of Decompression Algorithms for Use in the US Navy Underwater Decompression Computer (Phase I). US Navy Experimental Diving Unit Report 11-80, 1980
10. Thalmann, ED: Phase II Testing of Decompression Algorithms for Use in the US Navy Underwater Decompression Computer, US Navy Experimental Diving Unit Report 1-84, 1984.
11. Thalmann ED: Development of a Decompression Algorithm for Constant 0.7 ATA Oxygen Partial Pressure in Helium Diving. US Navy Experimental Diving Unit Report 1-85, 1985
12. Thalmann ED: Air-N2O2 Decompression Algorithm Development. US Navy Experimental Diving Unit Report 8-85, 1986.
13. Kizer KW: Delayed Treatment of dysbarism: A retrospective review of 50 cases. JAMA 247: 2555-2558, 1982
14. Yap CL: Delayed decompression sickness- the Singapore experience, in Proc Joint S Pacific Underwater Med Soc and Republic Singapore Navy Underwater Med Conf. SPUMS J Suppl, 1981 (Related Articles)
15. Butler FK, Pinto C: Progressive Ulnar Palsy as a late complication of decompression sickness. Annals Emerg Med 15:738-741, 1986. (Related Articles)
16. Behnke, AR: Analysis of Accidents occurring in training with the submarine "lung". U.S. Naval Medical Bull. 30: 177-184, 1932
17. Schaefer KE, Nulty WP, Carey C, et al: Mechanisms in development of interstitial emphysema and air embolism on decompression from depth. J. Appl. Physiol. 13: 15-29, 1958 (Related articles)
18. Malhotra MC, Wright CAM,: Arterial air embolism during decompression and its prevention. Proc. R. Soc. Med. B154: 418-427, 1960
19. Mader JT, Hulet WH: Delayed hyperbaric treatment of cerebral air embolism. Arch. Neurol. 36: 504-505, 1979 (Related articles)
20. Catron PW, Dutka AJ, Biondi DM, Flynn ET, Hallenbeck JM: Cerebral Air Embolism treated by pressure and hyperbaric oxygen. Neurology. 41: 314-315, 1991 (Related articles)
21. Berghage TE, Vorosmarti J JR, Barnard EEP. Background. In: Davis JC, ed. Treatment of serious decompression sickness and arterial gas embolism. Rep 34 WS (SDS). Bethesda, Undersea Medical Society, 1979, pp xi-xvii.
22. Kindwall EP. Decompression sickness. In: Davis JC, Hunt TK, eds. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Bethesda, Undersea Medical Society, 1977, pp 125-140.
23. Hart GB, Strauss MB, Lennon PA. The treatment of decompression sickness and air embolism in a monoplace chamber. J Hyperbar Med 1: 1-7, 1986 (Related articles)
24. Kindwall EP, Goldman RW, Thombs PA: Use of the monoplace chamber in the treatment of diving diseases. J Hyperbar Med ; 3: 5-10, 1988. (Related Articles)
25. Campbell ES: Danger! At Hotel Scuba. Scuba Times Online. http://www.scubatimes.com/medcntr/med_hotl.html. 1996
References for further reading
Arthur DC, Margulies RA. A short course in diving medicine. Annals Emerg Med ; 16:689-701. 1987(Related Articles)
Boettger ML. Scuba diving emergencies: pulmonary overpressure accidents and decompression sickness.
Annals Emerg Med ;12:563-567. 1983
Boycott AE, Damant GCC, Haldane JS. The prevention of compressed-air illness. J Hyg Camb ;8:342-443. 1908
Bove AA. The basis for drug therapy in decompression sickness. Undersea Biomed Res ;9:91-111. 1982 (Related articles)
Catron PW, Flynn Et, Jr. Adjuvant drug therapy for decompression sickness: a review. Undersea Biomed Res ;9:161-74. 1982(Related articles)
Cross SJ, Thomson LF, Jennings KP, Shields TG. Right-to-left shunt and neurological decompression sickness in divers. (Letter). Lancet ;ii;568. 1989 (Related articles)
Cross SJ, Lee HS, Thomson LF, Jennings K. Patent foramen ovale and subaqua diving (letter). BMJ ;304:1312. 1992
Davis JC, Kizer KW. Diving Medicine. In: Auerbach PS, Geehr EC, editors. Management of Wilderness and Environmental Emergencies, 2nd edition. The C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1989.
Dewey AW, Jr. Decompression sickness, an emerging recreational hazard. N Engl J Med : 267:759-65; 812-20. 1962
Dick APK, Massey EW. Neurologic presentation of decompression sickness and air embolism in sport divers. Neurology; 35:667-671. 1985 (Related articles)
Edmonds C. Barotrauma. In Strauss R., editor. Diving Medicine. New York, Grune & Stratton, 1976.
Green RD, Leitch DR. Twenty years of treating decompression sickness. Aviat Space Environ Med ;58:362-6. 1987 (Related articles)
Gorman DF. Decompression sickness and arterial gas embolism in sports scuba divers. Sports Medicine ;8:32-42. 1989 (Related articles)
Johnston RP, Broome JR, Hunt PD, et. al. Patent foramen ovale and decompression illness in divers (letter). The Lancet ; 348: 1515. 1996 (Related articles)
Kindwall EP. Diving emergencies. In: Kravis TC, editor. Emergency Medicine; Aspen Systems Corporation, Rockville,Maryland, 1983.
Kizer KW. Dysbaric cerebral air embolism in Hawaii. Ann Emerg Med ;16:535-41. 1987 (Related articles)
Krzyzak J. A case of delayed-onset pulmonary barotrauma in a scuba diver. Undersea Biomed Res ;14:553-61. 1987 (Related articles)
Mebane GY, Dick AP. DAN Underwater Diving Accident Manual. Divers Alert Network, Duke Univesity, 1985.
Moon RE, Camporesi EM, Kisslo JA. Patent foramen ovale and decompression sickness in divers. Lancet ;1:513-514. 1989 (Related articles)
Neblett LM. Otolaryngology and sport scuba diving. Update and guidelines. Annals Otology, Rhin and Laryng. Supplement ; 115:1-12. (A great article)1985 (Related articles)
Roydhouse N. 1001 disorders of the ear, nose and sinuses in scuba divers. Can J Appl Spt Sci ;10:99-103. 1985 (Related articles)
Schaefer KE, McNulty WP Jr., Carey C, Liebow AA. Mechanisms in development of interstitial emphysema and air embolism on decompression from depth. J Appl Physiol ;13:15-29. 1958
Strauss RH. Diving Medicine: State of the Art. Amer Rev Resp Dis ;119:1001-1023. 1979
Weeth JB. Management of underwater accidents. JAMA ; 192: 215-219. 1965
Wilmshurst P, Byrne JC, Webb-Peploe MM. Relation between interatrial shunts and decompression sickness in divers. Lancet ;II;1302-1306. 1989 (Related articles)
Wilmshurst. Patent formen ovale and subaqua diving (letter). BMJ ;1312. 1992 (Related articles)
Wilmshurst P. Transcatheter occlusion of foramen ovale with a button device after neurological decompression illness in professional divers. The Lancet ;348:752-753. 1996 (Related articles)
Wilmshurst P. Brain damage in divers (editorial). BMJ ; 314: 689-690. 1997 (Related articles)
Knauth M., Ries S, Pohlmann S, Kerby T, Forsting
Daffertshofer M, Hennerici M, Sartor K. Cohort Study of multiple brain
lesions in sport divers: role of a patent foramen ovale. BMJ ;
Diving Medicine Online' does not endorse any of the medications, products or treatments described, mentioned or discussed in any of the services, databases or pages accessible within or from 'Diving Medicine Online', and makes no representations concerning the efficacy, appropriateness or suitability of any such products or treatments.
You are encouraged to consult other sources and confirm the information contained in any of the services, databases or pages accessible within or from 'Diving Medicine Online'. If erroneous or otherwise inaccurate information is brought to our attention, a reasonable effort will be made to correct or delete it. Such problems should immediately be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org
The contents of this site are copyright © 1996-2010,
Ernest Campbell, MD, FACS All Rights Reserved.